Our AmeriCorps Members
Communities In Schools of San Antonio (CIS-SA) is currently accepting applications for the 2022-2023 AmeriCorps program. We are proud to be selected as a recipient of the AmeriCorps State grant through the OneStar Foundation. AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs where individuals commit their time to address critical community needs. CIS-SA’s AmeriCorps members will provide research-based integrated student supports to students at-risk of dropping out of school. Check out the sections below to learn more about our AmeriCorps program, member benefits, and qualifications.
For CISSA’s AmeriCorps program, members will provide research-based integrated student supports to students at-risk of dropping out of school. Placed directly in a high-need public school under the supervision of an experienced CIS Site Coordinator, AmeriCorps members will engage in the following activities:
- Provide intentional case-management services to a minimum of 5 economically disadvantaged students who are at-risk of dropping out of school
- Co-facilitate 1 group to address common barriers among students and provide a supportive environment in which students can build relationships, develop critical skills, and learn from the AmeriCorps Member and their peers
- Coordinate services within the CIS Six Components, including Supportive Guidance and Counseling, Health and Human Services, Parent and Family Engagement, College and Career Readiness, Enrichment, and Academic Support. Activities vary depending on program
- Participate in weekly supervision sessions and trainings
- Participate in a service project
- Serve a minimum of 450 hours through the duration of their service term
This rewarding experience is a great way to get hands-on professional experience in the field of social work and counseling while earning money for school. The CIS-SA AmeriCorps program seeks to provide members with the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills that will be valued by future employers, practice and develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and time management skills while making a real difference in students’ lives.
All members must complete their term according their member service agreement. There are several benefits for serving as an AmeriCorps member at Communities In Schools of San Antonio. The benefits of service include, but are not limited to:
- A living allowance of up to $3,400 (before taxes)
- Skill development and training opportunities, including trainings such as 40 Developmental Assets, ACES, Mental Health First Aid, and Trauma Informed Care
- Access to AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program (MAP) mental health services
- Access to a network of Employers of National Service. Employers of National Service connects AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni with employers from the private, public, and nonprofit sectors
- Access to nation-wide network of AmeriCorps Alumni
- Upon successful completion of the term of service, members will be eligible for an education award (up to $1,612) to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school
- Service hours may qualify to meet college practicum/internship hours
- Working toward a bachelors or master’s degree in a Social Work, Counseling, Family Studies, or other human services field
- Possess a desire and ability to work with underserved youth
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Relationship-building skills
- Time management skills
- Be 17 years or older
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens
- Pass a national service criminal history check (FBI fingerprinting, state of service check, and national sex offender registry check)
- Received a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must serve a minimum of 450 hours according the service terms listed below. Members must serve for the entire program length. Start and end dates are non-negotiable.
|Member Service Term Types||Full Year
Avg. 16 hrs/wk
Avg. 32 hrs/wk
Avg. 21 hrs/wk
Avg. 32 hrs/wk
|Start Date||Sept. 2020||Sept. 2020||Oct. 2020||Jan. 2022|
|End Date||May 2021||Dec. 2020||April 2021||May 2022|
If you have any questions, please email Sarah M. Kuntz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CISSA is strongly committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other federal and state legislation designed to ensure equal employment opportunities to persons with disabilities.
CISSA prohibits discrimination against applicants, contractors, and visitors on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic characteristic or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. CISSA strives to provide a work environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination as it is prohibited and will not be tolerated.